Friday, February 3, 2017

This week’s updates –

2017 Mi Casa Es Mi Casa - Visual Art Exhibit at the Point
Opening reception: February 9, 2017 • 6:00PM - 9:00 PM
940 Garrison Avenue, Bronx NY 10474

Stop by and check out a timely art show on displacement. As change continues to overtake the South Bronx landscape, members of its arts community continue to take a stand at The Point, where the exhibition “Mi Casa Es Mi Casa/My House Is My House” opens this Thursday. Come out and support!

Independent Film “Chapter & Verse” 
Film director Jamal Joseph, a former Black Panther 21 member tells a Harlem based story in relation to gang violence, family bonding, and survival. This flick caught my attention since I just finished reading Michelle Alexander’s The New Jim Crow. Mr. Joseph’s story speaks prophetically to the “racial caste system” described in Alexander’s book.

In Joseph’s own words:
“I wanted to do a real human portrait of the third man,” he said. “I’m the third man in my family because I’ve been in prison. Beaty’s father and his older brother were the third, both of them have been to prison. Those are our sons, grandfathers, uncles. Harlem is like the unofficial Black capital of America. Wherever there’s a Black community you see the same things in terms of incarceration and trying to figure out how to keep our families together.”

Screenings of “Chapter & Verse” will be held Feb. 3 and Feb. 10 in Harlem, Chicago, Los Angeles and Atlanta in select theaters.


I AM MELROSE
Stay tuned for exciting updates about I AM MELROSE, a community/ arts festival slated for May 13th. The event, which will include honoring women leaders in our community, a celebration of local community gardens, an art exhibit by Bronx artists, musical presentations, and more, is presented by local community organizations in the Melrose section of the Bronx. More detailed information will be provided in the days ahead so mark your calendars!


No comments:

Post a Comment